Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Only You Can Make a Change: Week 8 Growth Mindset

(Hilltop Oak Tree uploaded to Public Domain Pictures by Ken Kistler)

Lately, I've been thinking that the major growth of my mindset will come after I finish college and start coming to terms with my life being unshackled from schedules.

Not for the reason that schedules are limiting, oh, no; I actually find them comforting, since I can make a clearly drawn up plan out of a schedule. You don't often have that luxury in real life, it's a self-determining process on where you want to go and what you want to do.

This is difficult since I am so used to being in a routine that whenever something unpredictable interrupts or changes that routine, I become flustered, confused, and angry with myself. I can certainly put my mind to work, but the fact of my problem is that I only know how to be motivated when I am scripted to do something and there are stakes. Therapy and serious time in real world environments are going to inform whether or not I can function in a new way.

I still have plenty of problems regarding not doing things last minute, stepping outside of my comfort zone, taking risks, and confidence, however I always strive for a good effort no matter the consequences, and if that requires improving my set of skills beyond its current capabilities, then so bet it.

I have a long way to go before I can seem as positive as the people around me without much worry, and I fear my obsessive tendencies may never change, but I'm sure that with friends and family to help encourage and support, I will remain strong and stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment