Friday, January 27, 2017

You are Your Own Harshest Critic: Feedback Thoughts


(Inspirational quote graphic by Raphael Love, uploaded to Flickr on Feb. 20th, 2015, no  changes made)

I would say the road I travel in relation to receiving and giving feedback is often laden with potholes. On the receiving end, I will probably not look at feedback notes because I am busy with other stuff, not get the message because it's either not clear enough or not fully captivated, or amplify the negatives far too often for my own admittance. On the giving end, I have no experience doing this, feeling inarticulate for it, or worry that my feedback will come off the wrong way to someone or is actually detrimental to their work.

The articles I have read presented me with interesting ideas on how to approach both receiving and giving feedback that I might want to try putting into practice. They also put forth good suggestions for improving my general mood so that I can focus more in classes and enjoy life.

On the giving end, I love Wiggins' clearly laid out seven steps on what feedback should be, and will probably refer to them often when giving feedback, writing as concisely, objectively, and promptly as I can so that the feedback is useful. Word choice suggested by Rutsch will also be a consideration to keep the egos of others in check, thought I'd really enjoy receiving feedback with that consideration as well.

On receiving feedback, Nawaz' perspective on turning to the positives rather than blowing up even the smallest of negatives in situations is a nice wake-up call that I hope I can apply, especially with my worrying tendencies. Winch's advice on realizing and reinforcing the qualities that make you a worthwhile person and extending your social network and relationships for support is also something I could use in my life.

These strategies are not going to be applied instantly, but I feel they are stepping stones in the right direction.

Bibliography

Why Rejection Hurts and What to Do About It , Guy Winch, Dec. 8th, 2015

Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head, Sabina Nawaz, Dec. 5th, 2016

Key Characteristics of Better Learning Feedback,  Grant Wiggins, Oct. 10th, 2015

The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self-Esteem,  Poncie Rutsch, Mar. 10th, 2015

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First,
    I want to say I love your meme. It is the sad truth that we are all our own critic and for the most part we are the harshest.

    I really like the idea to take it into account all the positives and instead of focusing on the negatives only. I think especially in our daily lives it is so easy to get caught up in all of the negativity, if we just step back and be thankful relationships would be much happier. I think that this is something that we could all really use in our lives!

    ReplyDelete